A Pi Phi Connection to Frank Lloyd Wright

This post is courtesy of Historian Fran Becque as part of her continuing series on Pi Phi heritage.

On July 9, 1914, Pi Beta Phi dedicated the second largest schoolhouse in Tennessee’s Sevier County. It was a one-story structure, 60×84 feet, resembling a bungalow. The dedication of the Settlement School building took place 1 p.m. and Grand Council members May Lansfield Keller, Maryland Alpha; Lida Burkhard Lardner, Colorado Beta; Amy Burnham Onken, Illinois Epsilon; Anne Stuart, Nebraska Beta; and Sarah Pomeroy (Rugg), Massachusetts Alpha, attended.

A Colorado Beta, Lucy Hammond von Holst, and her husband, Hermann V. von Holst, designed the building. Mr. von Holst designed in the Prairie style and oversaw some of Frank Lloyd Wright’s projects while Wright was in Europe with Mamah Cheney in 1909. The building cost $3735.30.

A Tomato Club, with 13 members, had been organized May 1st and they sang “Ring, Ching, Ching.” The Pi Phis who were present sang the “Pi Beta Phi Anthem.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *